Monday, 4 April 2011

Drawing Elective - Gerald Scarfe


I have loved Gerald Scarfes work for years. His ability to create expression complex characters from simple sweeping lines fills me with awe and is something I aspire to. I went to see him talk at the Ilkley literature festival a year or so back and he was brilliant, but what I realised was, by the age of 18 he could draw in a very technically sound manner. In order to achieve what I want to be able to draw like, I really need to learn to draw technically and quickly and the only way to achieve this is through excessive practice.

I havent even mentioned Scarfes vicious political satire! Which I also love... but since Ive never been such a political person I have always felt like I would leave that to the folk with the strong opinions and use the skills I develop to draw immersive, detailed fantasy type pictures of memories and places that I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment