
While this film is visually spectacular it was far too long for me. I like long films, but the plot doesn't seem to justify the length. Just not enough happens. Technically its brilliant, the shots are really creative and I love how they weren't afraid to have the camera on for more than 30 seconds at a time sometimes. Really short shots annoy me, especially in martial arts films, which this isn't.
The film is about a young man selling hallucinogenic drugs in Tokyo. His sister works in a strip club and together they are earning pretty good money. At the beginning he is shot and killed by police while going to sell some LSD to a friend in a club called "The Void."

To use a cliche this film is really trippy. The audio is doctored to create lag at certain points and things seem to leave trails when the camera moves. If only it was happier... I appreciate that sometimes film makers just want to make something really really fucking miserable with absolutely no possibility of hope or reconciliation at the end. But I suppose the title of the film sums it up well. It has that feeling at the end that everything goes full circle, it obsesses visually over sex and death, in some ways its a very typical film about hallucinogenic drugs.

It is 2 hours 45 mins long and I found it difficult by the end but its still worth watching just for the technical genius and really tasteful use of CGI. Borrow it or steal or something, probably not a good idea to buy your folks it for christmas though.
Enter the Void - IMDB
Just blog walking and want to say hi to the owner, I'm enjoying reading your review/story
ReplyDeletethanks
Watch TV Show Episodes Online