
First off Mean Streets, written and directed by Martin Scorzese is an original and great gangster film unlike any I've seen. Its different to Goodfellas as it follows the underdogs in a semi organised crime syndicate. Second off, it has Robert DeNero in a role that seems more intense than any other I've seen him in (other than Taxi Driver which in my opinion is off the chart.) Jonny Boy defies any sort of authority, an original anarchist without saying anything of the sort. Unlike Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver he's full on all the time instead of building up a slow steady rage then unleashing it all at once, he's also different to Joe Pesci in Goodfellas in that he does listen to his peers, especially in his conversations with Charlie which expose him in a more vulnerable light nearly every time. I suppose his name Jonny Boy sums it up as his actions are often childish and impulsive. Although Harvey Keitel gets more screen time I ended up feeling for Jonny Boy more than anyone.
Its not a funny film at all but Martin Scorzese's humour comes through in the sequence of shots often enough, especially in regards to Charlies relationship with Rita which keep undermining his hard man persona. I cant say much more I reckon if youre reading this and havnt seen it you should just fucking watch it. Now I'm going to return to my Scorzese binge.
No comments:
Post a Comment