Monday, 26 September 2011

Skipton Puppet Festival











So I went to Skipton Puppet Festival on Sunday. It was pretty good. I met a woman called Lenka Pavlickova who hand carves this marionettes out of Lime or Linden Wood depending on what you want to call it. They're amazing to see, I'm not much of a photographer and I dont suppose this images do them justice. I'm definitely taking inspiration from these for Comm Tech.

Her website is linked HERE.



I also saw a traditional Punch and Judy show by a man called Geoff Felix who made his own boothe and puppets. I was especially impressed by his presinium arch, I'd like to create facades for stages or sets in this style. Its done in oils and then varnished I think.

This is a LINK to his website.


These two are a french double act who are keen on circus skills and operate a human size puppet called "Mario" who sings, dances and flirts with women in the audience. His routine involves getting dressed, dancing and juggling which is massively impressive when you consider the performers operate one arm each.

Their blog is HERE.


These two are the Flying Buttresses, just one of the acts performed by Hodman Dodmanott and Sally Forth. They made these costumes when they were just 15. They are a comic act that wander around chatting to people and being generally odd. The heads are operated by a hand and inside the costume and a microphone and speaker to make their voices audible. They kind of resemble hobbits... Hodman told me he's just invented a box that pops open and dispenses buisness cards he can operate from inside the suit. I definitely want to see these guys again!

Link to Website


Here is a couple of photos of a handmade puppet that was part of a small show from the London School of Puppetry, the quality is less so than the others I've shown above, but I think it has a charm and it seems more plausible that I can make something like him in the time I have in the CommTech module.

No comments:

Post a Comment