Thursday, 14 October 2010

10 Things. Continued...

Number 6. Fear

I wrote this in hospital and I'm going to type it up word for word as I wrote it.


I woke up an hour ago. In an hour I will go into surgery and they will give me a metal skeleton. No morphine this morning. Just the satisfaction that the fantastic four will finally be mine after my horrible upgrade.

I remember being at a theme park with my Aunt and Uncle. They weren't fearful people.
My Uncle built nuclear power plants and my Auntie took solice in that when she walked down a darkened street there was nothing scarier or more terrifying there than she was.

I dont remember where the theme park was. Eerie noises of torture and maniacal laughter echoed from its sound systems and badly painted ghosts and ghoulies with LED flashing eyes stared down out at you from the great structure.

With hunger and machismo in my voice I looked to my Aunt and Uncle and said to them "That looks like my kind of place."


And so, we paid in and got on.
Minutes later my heart was racing and my eyes were tight shut.
I was gripping onto my uncle saying "MAKE IT STOP! MAKE IT STOP!"

That night I had nightmares, and to console me when I ran into my my Aunts room balling and wailing about werewolves in the floorboards and miscellaneous tubes trying to vioate me from cracks in the ceiling, my Aunt told me at that my Uncle ( at the age of fifty six) had suffered the same intrusive visions, induced by the terrifying ghost train circus ride.

I drew ghost trains for months after.


No comments:

Post a Comment